Watermelon Taffy (Dehydrated Watermelon)
Submitted by Eric Hornbaker
- 1 whole Seedless watermelon
- Cut watermelon rind completely off (no white). I usually cut the melon in half lengthwise, turn it over flat side down, then cut half slices 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick, and finally cut the rind off.
- Cut fruit into strips: 1/4 inch thick, 1 inch wide, 3-4 inches long.
- Place slices on dehydrator screen, not on rollup films, because you want the air flow to get to both sides of the slices so the melon does not become soggy.
- Dehydrate between 24 hours and 48 hours at 115-135 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on your desired consistency.
- Lay pieces on wax paper and roll it up like a cigar.
- To store long term, roll up those rolls into 3 or 4 inch diameter circles and place in a wide-mouth mason jar.
- When jar is completely full, place a desicant bag on top to absorb any excess moisture, with an oxygen absorber in the jar. Seal jar with lid.
- You can eat it dehydrated, like taffy or, you can rehydrate it by placing strips into cold water for about 3 hours.
- When it is rehydrated, the fruit will be flimsy (not crisp) but it will have a fresh melon taste.